[vorbis] Fw: CD Ripper Beta Software: RipTrax

John Lundy jlundy at playnet.com
Wed Feb 6 06:01:00 PST 2002

Blade is bitrate oriented. Lame is bitrate oriented in its Blade
compatibility mode. Ogg is bitrate oriented in the static bit rate (SBR)
mode and quality oriented in the VBR mode (a quality value is provided to
the DLL interface; a value between .1 and 1). For a generic interface to all
three encoders I elected to use a bitrate centric interface. This brings up
a good question (thanks to you, Wilson), "Don't higher bitrates always mean
higher quality?" If not, what would be the preferred interface parameters to
represent a quality centric application?

The present version of Obb Vorbis used by RipTrax is version 1.0rc3. Once
the version information is available from the DLL(s) involved, this
information will appear in the About box, just like Blade and Lame versions
do. Right now there is no programmatical method to acquire this information.

Track and artist names can be changed on the Track tab prior to starting the
ripping process. Once that process is started, the Track and Config tabs are
disabled to prevent a user from "shooting himself in the foot", so to speak.
Changing information on these pages during the ripping process could have
drastic ramifications (i.e. give unpredictable and/or undesireable results).
A user should make all changes to the Album/Artist/etc information *prior*
to starting the rip.

John