[vorbis] file(1) support for Ogg and Ogg/Vorbis

Paul de Weerd paul at mail.me.maar.nu
Tue Feb 5 12:25:30 PST 2002

Hi all,

While I was busy sorting out my music collection, I discovered that
file(1) had no Ogg/Vorbis (or Ogg/* for that matter) support yet. Is
there anyone working on support for this or am I using an outdated
version of file(1) ? file(1) has extensive MP3 support. Compare the
following :

$ file */*.ogg | grep 01
Busta Rhymes - Genesis/01 Intro.ogg:                          data
De La Soul - Aoi Bionix/01 Intro.ogg:                         data
Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team/01 Live On Stage.ogg:        data
Muse - The Origin Of Symmetry/01 New Born.ogg:                data
Within Temptation - Mother Earth/CD1-01 Mother Earth.ogg:     data

$ find . -type f -name \*.mp3 -exec file \{\} \; | manualgrep
Winamp/demo.mp3: MPEG 2.0 layer 3 audio stream data,  56 kBit/s, 22.05 kHz, jstereo
Music/druid-pa.mp3: MPEG 1.0 layer 3 audio stream data, 160 kBit/s, 44.1 kHz, stereo
Music/ScoobySnacks.mp3: MPEG 1.0 layer 3 audio stream data, 256 kBit/s, 44.1 kHz, stereo

For mp3's it shows me MPEG type (1.0 or 2.0), bitrate, samplerate and
channelinfo; for ogg's it just says data. Hey, I know it's data ;) For
total world domination (or what was that goal again) I think file
support is quite desireable.

Does anybody know how file(1) works anyway ? ;) From reading some
magic(5) I got quite light-headed .. I think someone cast a spell(8)
on it ;P

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd