[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sat Feb 2 06:02:35 PST 2002

David Gasaway wrote:
> > The question is whether this information is valuable enough to make it a
> > standard. If not, I suggest people who need it define it by themselves.
> Ah, here's what I was trying to get to last night.  Unfortunately, I
> wasn't on the top of my game.
[...]
> I'm also ignorant, so I fail to change the vendor string in the library
> (I'm guessing that its hard-coded), encode a few CDs with "-q 7", share
> them on a P2P.  What'll you have now?

... a very unlikely situation. ;)

> The information would mostly only be reliable if you keep the files to
> yourself.  In that case, set your own personal standard.

You're right, this is the only place where one can totally rely on that
info. Anyways, I am sure that outside our homes this information would
be neither totally useless nor would it be absolutely reliable. What we
want is to figure out the cost-benefit ratio - cost in terms of
confusing people, being useless, taking space etc and benefit meaning
all what i and others wrote in many previous mails. Nothing is
absolutely reliable, haven't you ever got three or more tunes from
Audiogalaxy, all with different titles, that were the same song? Those
are extreme situations, and if we went after these, no tag should be a
standard.

I think that this information might be worth including. A situation like
the one you discribed is really unlikely, and I'd think that Xiphophorus
can do something against someone making a bad rip-off of libvorbis and
still calling it like the original thing. Anyways ... my head is now
full of the word "unlikely". :)