[vorbis] Quality & Tags

David Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Fri Feb 1 11:44:40 PST 2002

Moritz Grimm wrote:

> ENCSETTINGS makes most/only sense when the encoded file doesn't go
> through any p2p network(s). It'd be there to classify the own music
> collection, and it might be useful for some advocating (look how good
> this sounds, and it's -q 2!). It might be an indirect hint on how good a
> rip is because you know what you can expect from a certain setting. It
> still does not say anything about a tune unless you were able to
> actually hear it.
>
> The question is whether this information is valuable enough to make it a
> standard. If not, I suggest people who need it define it by themselves.

wasn't on the top of my game.

I'm not arguing that this information isn't interesting or useful.
There are just too many variables to expect the tag to give any reliable
information.  Consider this.  In a matter of minutes, I could pull down
the source for vorbis, hack up a new library (a la GCP, only in a very,
very *bad* way, because I'm an idiot when it comes to audio coding :),
I'm also ignorant, so I fail to change the vendor string in the library
(I'm guessing that its hard-coded), encode a few CDs with "-q 7", share
them on a P2P.  What'll you have now?

The information would mostly only be reliable if you keep the files to
yourself.  In that case, set your own personal standard.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org