[vorbis] Am I insane?

Nate nate at lynchzone.com
Sat Dec 14 22:07:27 PST 2002

Martin Fontaine wrote:

> 	Yeah, I use that too...  Mostly for test purposes...  To me, when at
> home using a 5.1 receiver with either DPL2 or CS5.1 setting (Which
> fakes 5.1 sound out of stereo) I found that when encoding at lower
> bitrate (q3 and down) it sounds acceptable to the naked ear (Using
> small desktop speakers or Walkman-Style Headphones) but when you kick
> in one of those modes on a receiver, the rears sound all distorted!

I've tried a number of quality settings and couldn't really hear any
difference at quality 6 and up, but I just figured that disk space was
cheap and I didn't want to limit quality.  I play all my Oggs through a
Terratec 6fire 24/96 using a coax digital cable into a yamaha 3090 amp.
  I have been trying quite hard to hear differences between high quality
Ogg and the CD with digital interconnect to the amp, or the virgin wav
file on the computer and I really can't.

I'm happy and I must have too much free time on my hands ;)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side. - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson