[vorbis] stupid cd player mod question

Stephen Commiskey scommiskey at pharmacology.umsmed.edu
Fri Dec 6 11:21:34 PST 2002

I stand corrected.

My assumptions were based on fitting it into a normal CD player form
factor, which would be pretty insanely difficult to do without a system
that has built-in sound (although I'm sure there are some mini-systems
that allow horizontal PCI card mounting).  And that would have much
worse S/N than a decent CD player.

What I should have said, in my first response, was that he should just
go buy a DVD player with upgradeable firmware and wait.  But I had had a
couple of drinks last night, and I just had go spouting off....
Sorry if I came off brusque.
Oh well, it's less public (though not much less embarassing) than the
idiotic "I'm soooo baaaaaaaked" stories on alt.drugs.  And with that mea
culpa out of the way, I'll resume my usual lurk and leave the sound
stuff to the people who know it.

-SWC

>>> eds at reric.net 12/06/02 11:56AM >>>
This is probably off-topic here, but for a competent engineer the RF
noise
in a PC is not a big problem.  There are many pro-grade sound boards
that
have the converters on a PCI card, and there's no metal shielding on
the
board.  These boards often run 24bit/96kHz and get quite good S/N.  A
Faraday cage isn't needed, just good smart board design.  There will
always be an advantage to having analog stuff in its own shielded
environment, but it's only an issue if you need more than, say, 100db
of
dynamic range.