[vorbis] Re: Re: fitting lots of music into 10GB with Vorbis

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 26 14:40:17 PST 2002

I'm now in the process of putting my family's (well, the four of us that
live in the house at least) CD collection onto Vorbis q3.5.
If i have any space left (which i doubt) on my 10GB HDD I'll start with the
vinyl collection.
Since i doubt that i'll fit at least 100 cds onto 10GB (which at a rough
estimate is 10MB per CD average0 i not bothered about exact maths). I will
be investing my Xmas money in the following:
extra HDD, a shop-bought copy of linux (for the purposes of home
networking(primarily), then Icecast streaming- suggestions on places on
internet to buy first time user, homenetwork & vorbis friendly dists),then
if i can afford it, a decent UPS since the last power cut nearly damaged the
music disc- windows reported a possible bad disc sector error. yay.

Anywoo, before newyears day, i should have sent the results of how much
music i managed to fit on the disc. If not, it'll be because i am drunk. Or
recovering from being drunk.

BTW- "Paranoia: Full" (on CDex) causes problems with ripping certain tracks
that i can't hear any artefacts in- most notably the last track on a disc
before a data track on the so called "enhanced CDs"- it got to 98% ripped,
then either did the (invisible on my computer) blue (screen just goes black)
screen of death, or just kept trying to rip. and takes ages to do nothing.