[vorbis] An intresting article

Patrick Mauritz oxygene at studentenbude.ath.cx
Wed Dec 25 15:55:26 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 08:16:19AM -0800, Caleb wrote:
> Ok let's clear a few things up, Palladium is a chip that's planted into
> intel's and AMDs new proccessors, and will be activated in Microsoft's
> upcoming OS( LongHorn ).
and now let's stop the FUD spread by notcpa.org and their horror-FAQ

the chip is the "product" of tcpa (actually it's only a spec you can download
without restrictions), where most of the consumer electronic companies
(including intel and amd, but microsoft as well) participate.
this chip is supposed to provide several crypto services.

palladium is a wanna-be windows subsystem which is currently cooked together
by microsoft to make use of the services provided by the tcpa chip (also called
"fritz chip", after sen. fritz hollings, you know, the guy who's in bed with
mickey mouse all the time). with palladium they want to ensure that they can
trust the customers, who destroy it all the time by ruining all those small,
cosy media companies by entering there with big ships, damaging everything
just to get the cds and stuff...

o as long as you're windows free, there's no way to get palladium on your stuff.
maybe the x86 architecture will be tcpa-only in the future (let's see what transmeta
does, or via - building a tcpa-free x86 provides a new competition base against
intel and amd, and I haven't seen any of those on the member list of the tcpa),
so you'd have to go with something else. hopefully it's less broken than the x86 stuff

while tcpa _might_ have uses, even the other tcpa-participants are concerned about the
bad effects of microsoft's plans with palladium

> Audigy2 has DRM and it simply blocks you from recording when listening
> to DVD-Audio!
or any .wma stream you downloaded from the sites of those small and cosy
companies I mentioned above...

> A petition about Palladium: http://www.petitiononline.com/tcpa1/
not sure who created that, but it makes the same mistakes as the notcpa.org people,
mixing up tcpa and palladium..

--
In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music