[vorbis] most pointless mentioning/advertising of a format in a film i've ever seen

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Dec 10 06:04:24 PST 2002

hi,
On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:15:21PM -0000, Martin Blackwell wrote:
> In the recent muppets christmas film, god (played by whoopi goldberg- or howevr u spell her name), mentioned converting her entire album collection (every album ever recorded. ever) to mp3 files.
and i thouht that god was alanis morisette (dogma) ;)
> Now that is the most pointless use of advertising the inferior mp3 format i've ever seen.
i wouldn't say that is has something to do with advertising but more with
the fact that mp3 is just the first big and therefore widest spread audio
codec. talking of mp3 in movies is just like talking of the internet
(whooo, the internet!) or talking about napster (whooo!) some years ago.
as you just talked about advertising inferior stuff, your mailer
"advertises" that your inferior mailer is:
in the header ;)

> Now that we've started covering the use of vorbis in games, anyone spotted any reference (no matter how obscure/blatant) to ogg vorbis in films?
not yet, but maybe there will be a sequence like that in some new star trek
movie like this:
Piccard: Data, does OGG make any meaning to you? Can we access the data
         stored in that harddisk inside the damaged vessel?
Data: Yes, a compression technique used in the beginning of the 21st century,
      i could download the codec from the internet (whooo, mentioned the
      internet again, too!).
(Data installs ogg vorbis and plays the file).
Troy: I sense something, this sounds really good, much better than the
      mpeg28-codec that starfleet is currently using...

regards,
        wernfried

PS: ok, worst OT posting ever, i apologize ;)

--
-> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
-> fpp.mfpmmmmmmfmm at fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp
-> mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp
-> http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/