[vorbis] Technical MP3->OGG transcoding question

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Dec 4 18:22:11 PST 2002

TobiX wrote:
> Let's assume one wants to transcode an Mp3 file to Ogg Vorbis, for his
> own reasons, which I'm NOT going to discuss here.
> CAN it be done in a better way than Poor Man's Transcoding?
> (i.e.: mpg321 -w - file.mp3 |oggenc -o file.ogg - )
> CAN it be done in a lossless way?

This has been discussed before as well ... I forgot the exact technical
reason why, but MP3 and Vorbis are too different - it's not possible to
transcode without completely decoding MP3 and re-encoding with Vorbis.
This is also the main reason why it's "evil", there is just no other way
than the way of the Poor Man.