[vorbis] Re: Debian mp3->vorbis transcoding

Martin thebox at phreaker.net
Tue Aug 27 04:22:17 PDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:06:17 +0200, Moritz wrote:
>Therefore, I really hope that if that thing has to be done, it contains
>at least two questions that must be answered with "yes", not only "y" or
>[Enter].
>
>-//-
>MP3 makes the sound different in order to compress it. Vorbis cannot
>guess how it was supposed to sound. Vorbis will make the sound even more
>different. Are you sure that you want that? [ yes | No ]
>
>yes
>
>Did you understand the previous question? The resulting .ogg file will
>sound worse than the MP3. To enjoy Vorbis' superior quality, you have to
>encode directly from the source, e.g. from CD. You could use the time
>this tool needs in more useful ways. Are you *really* sure? [ yes | No ]
>
>yes
>
>As you wish, you have been warned. Please don't share the resulting
>file(s) as they cannot sound as good as any properly encoded .ogg file.
>-//-
A good, but also interesting point there. Most users don't know much
details about lossy encoding and stuff. They just believe it's
"CD-Quality", regardless if it's from a CD, an mp3/minidisc etc.
One idea could be to have a tag for "Source". This will get the
listening user to relate the sound experience to something.

For example some source-tags could be:
CDDA - Digitally extracted raw-cd-data
CDAN - Source is CD, recorded through analogue line
DAT - Digitally extracted raw-dat-data
Analog DAT - Source is DAT, recorded through analogue line
Analog - Source is Analog. Could be vinyl record, video tape etc.
Compressed [name] - Source is digitally compressed audio, like
mp3/vqf/minidisc etc (an mp3-transcoder would automatically add the
tag Compressed [mp3 192kbit] or something.)

Unknown - Source completely unknown.
Unknown Analog - recorded from line, could be from cassette or Vinyl
record
Unknown Digital - recorded digitally from either DAT, CD, AudioCD etc.
Raw data-copy.
Unknown Compressed - re-coded from mp3/minidisc/memorystick/realaudio

etc. etc.
Not that I would enjoy listening to re-coded mp3's, but perhaps a good
quality Minidisc bootleg, and a simple tag telling it's from MD could
be useful.

/)/)artin