[vorbis] Format converters

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Mon Aug 19 07:25:18 PDT 2002

> On a totally unconnected note....is it not possible
> to convert from mp3 to vorbis without leaving the
> frequency domain? That would imply much less loss
> then converting mp3->wav->ogg.

I don't know the details of both mp3 and vorbis... but
I can say that the frq domain is not as simple of time
domain. e.g. the length, in time, of each frq domain
peice of sound in mp3 is not constant and it's different
from vorbis. Frq bands and windowing also differ. This
(and probably many other reasons I don't know) makes
impossible converting one format to another without
leaving the frq domain.