[vorbis] Format converters

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Mon Aug 19 04:21:09 PDT 2002

R.J.J.H. wrote:

> Now, a new project would switch to Minidisc (ATRAC3) recordings,
> transferring them to the lap-top/CD-ROM in compressed form (e.g.,
> Ogg Vorbis, 80 kbs would do). Finally this speech would end up in a
> huge speech corpus for small languages, which uses a different
> compression codec and another bit-rate for archiving, say MP3 at 192
> kbs.

I suggest going straight to that final format if you can't simply
store the original data files (which will be the best quality you have
left). Regardless of which encoding scheme you use for later stages,
there will be losses in the conversion. AFAIK you'll lose somewhat
less by re-encoding to MP3, as the artefacts will be the same in both
cases. But there's no advantage is coverting from low bitrate mp3
ATRAC3 to high bitrate mp3, unless you have to because ATRAC3 can't be
played by any of the software codecs you have available.

So if at all possible, just grab the files off the minidiscs as
digital data, and store those.

Moz