[vorbis] Chat with ogg

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Aug 13 03:27:06 PDT 2002

>>a) yes, Ogg Vorbis can be encoded live
>>b) you don't want to do this for chat, since there will be a decent
>>delay in each stream (more than 10s probably)
>
>This delay is not from encoding/decoding process, it's from the
>buffering in the streaming server and Winamp. Yo can go much lower, if
>you send the stream directly to the client via UDP, but I don't know
>any solution.

There is buffering in the streaming server usually, but typically it's
small (much less than one second). There's buffering in the client
(highly variable, sometimes a lot). But there _is_ substantial delay
in the encoder itself, which for interactive voice applications is
pretty important.

For typical music streaming, the majority of the delay comes from
client-side buffers. There's nothing you can do about that.

Mike