[vorbis] Strange dropouts

Tomi Jylhä-Ollila tomi.jylha-ollila at pp.inet.fi
Tue Aug 6 02:40:16 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 02:19, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Tomi Jylhä-Ollila (tomi.jylha-ollila at pp.inet.fi) wrote:
>
> > Yes. Here's the ogg encoded using the 1.0 final Windows binary w/ -q 3:
> > http://personal.inet.fi/musiikki/nebularia/test/t2title-win.ogg
> >
> > and, the one I encoded in Debian with the same version and -q setting:
> > http://personal.inet.fi/musiikki/nebularia/test/t2title.ogg
>
> Well, I'm at a loss here.  Both files have normal-looking vorbis 1.0
> headers (Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20020717) and the same nominal bitrate.
> They both decode to the same size .wav file, but not the *same* .wav
> file:
>
> jekyll:~/tmp$ cmp t2*
> t2.wav t2-win.wav differ: byte 87435, line 83

I mixed the wavs together after inverting one of them and here's the
result where only the differences exist (300 KB):

http://personal.inet.fi/musiikki/nebularia/test/t2title-diff.flac

There appears to be even more errors than I could hear. The ones that
were audible to me were at the very beginning and at around 30 seconds.

> I can't hear the difference between them, and unfortunately my ABX
> program is dumping core when I try to ABX them:
>
> Reading t2-win.wav ...Only 1 or 2 channels are supported, not 16393
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> (But xmms plays them both just fine.)

Hmm. Try it with headphones if you haven't already. The first error I
can hear in t2title.ogg (the one encoded in Debian) is the high "blip"
on the left after the third clap hit.

In case you missed the first post, the source file is here (7 MB):

http://personal.inet.fi/musiikki/nebularia/test/t2title.flac

Cheers,

 - Tomi