[vorbis] Re: Debian mp3->vorbis transcoding

Vance Roussin vance.the.stampede at telusplanet.net
Wed Aug 28 21:44:52 PDT 2002

>> apologise for the mistake). I also observed that if such transcoding is
>> really necessary, it's as trivial as decoding the mp3 to .wav and then
>> vorbis-coding the .wav, therefore a dedicated program isn't really
>> worthwhile.

Anyway to wrap a mp3 in an ogg? I know this would probably hurt the
vorbis developers' pride, not to mention high moral standing. However
since I don't believe there is any patent/copyright issues with this
so long as the program that reads/writes the ogg does not compress
or decompress mp3 stream but rather passes it to or receives it from
a program that is licensed to do so. Is this technically feasible
on all platforms?

I realize I'm suggesting the taboo. But lets face it: are we not
ready to sacrifice a little pride in order to help those to dense
to know better? The library that reads the ogg could pass along
information that the stream is infact an actually mp3 so anyone
with half a brain would know not to associate the sound quality
with vorbis. And unlike an "idiot tag" it can only be removed
by a decomp-recomp process, which would be rendered obselete by
existence of the superior "wraping solution".

Is there something I forgot to take into account?

-vance