[vorbis] Re: Debian mp3->vorbis transcoding

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 28 14:27:41 PDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:16:17AM +0800, Peter Nyhlen  wrote:
> > apologise for the mistake). I also observed that if such transcoding is
> > really necessary, it's as trivial as decoding the mp3 to .wav and then
> > vorbis-coding the .wav, therefore a dedicated program isn't really
> > worthwhile.
>
> Except that you lose any comments from the original file.
> Hopefully the transcoder would add a tag stating that it
> sounds crappy because it started life as an mp3.

nice idea, right now as the information about "new" licensing (see
http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html, i think everybody
has already heard about this already, especially as xiph has already thanked
them) is out, some people react panically and think that they have to
re-encode their mp3s to ogg.

however, if someone feels like he/she want's to write a program that can
reencode mp3 to ogg including features as importing tags, etc, do it.
there will always be need for any kind of software, so there will possibly
be a need for this software.

maybe the best solution would be a program that informs the user verbosely
that he is doing something quite useless, but if he thinks he really
wants to continue, he may. (as he really want's it, he might know why).

> At any rate I agree you should leave your mp3s 'AS IS' and
> only oggenc your *.wav, *.au, and *.aiff files.
agreed,
there was a thread recently on the mp3encoder-list, result: reencoding
mp3 -> mp3 isn't useful either. i guess re-encoding to ogg several times
would produce artifacts, too?

regards
        wernfried

--
-> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
-> fpp.mfpmmmmmmfmm at fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp
-> mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp
-> http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/