[vorbis] Debian mp3->vorbis transcoding

Craig Dickson crdic at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 28 09:49:34 PDT 2002

In case there are any Debian developers around here, I wanted to point
out message <20020828154322.GA15114 at chulak.naquadah.org> on the
debian-devel list this morning. Another Debian developer is proposing to
submit an mp3->vorbis transcoding program for inclusion in Debian. I
have objected to this on the grounds that the resulting vorbis files
will sound like crap, and I have also pointed out that the vorbis
developers have a low opinion of this sort of transcoding (I think this
is an accurate representation of the developers' views -- if not, I
apologise for the mistake). I also observed that if such transcoding is
really necessary, it's as trivial as decoding the mp3 to .wav and then
vorbis-coding the .wav, therefore a dedicated program isn't really
worthwhile.

It might help for other Debian developers who are involved with vorbis
to make their views known in this thread on debian-devel. Thanks.

The thread can be found here in the list archives:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200208/msg01794.html

Craig