[vorbis] further development

Robert Michel Robert.Michel at post.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Aug 24 02:28:44 PDT 2002

Salve !
Am Samstag, 24. August 2002 10:25 schrieb Grigori Goronzy:
> hi,
>
> what are the targets for ogg vorbis development now, after 1.0?
>
> speed optimization?

I want to stress again that there 2 kinds of speed:
- low CPU use
- low delay

Low delay is very important for telephone via TCP/IP and
for radio network productions were several studios are linked
to one program, live.
There is "ACC low delay" without alternativities.
see my mail from Fri 09 Aug 2002:
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200208/0066.html

> general better quality?
What is better quality? Test the diverent codecs:
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200208/0185.html
I fear that vorbis ogg is too good:
it sounds clear and a little bit hard in high notes (speeches)
and as far as I see it is voteted as second best codec.

> better quality at low/high bitrates?
> something like a lossless mode?
Would be cool for production.

> can someone knowing this point it out?
On one hand, I think it is strategicaly,
on other, I would like to know it, too.

Speed is not everything, I would say that
low delay and lossless mode are more
interesting than low CPU use.

Greetings
Rob