[vorbis] Re: [vorbis-dev] DRM

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Mon Aug 12 08:13:48 PDT 2002

Lourens Veen wrote:
> > > embed Vorbis audio in a WMF file that way, and use its DRM
> > Thank you, now I have goosebumps all over my body. ;P
> Heh, well I'm only suggesting this because I figure that with
> Mplayer for example supporting the WMF format, and it probably
> ignoring DRM information (and if not we'll patch it :-)), anyone

That would be highly illegal under the DMCA. Besides, let those
companies sell DRM as a "way to enable customers access to more content"
and give the rest of the world what they really want - hassle-free,
DRM-free, and at least gratis software. A device or player supporting
only DRM protected content wouldn't play MP3s either, and be completely
uninteresting to any customer.

The only way for the industry to force DRM on people would be through
legislature, and that's totally against what I believe is the most
important part of democracy and freedom. Things like that must be fought
at all cost.

P.S.: I suggest keeping this on the vorbis list, and not vorbis-dev.