[vorbis] installation on 486

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Aug 11 10:39:18 PDT 2002

hello,
i was just trying to install the ogg package on my old 486 (~70 mhz iirc)
machine, but was not able to compile the libvorbis-package because
of: gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
i think that this is not really a problem of vorbis, but of my old
gcc-version (2.7.2.3). however, before upgrading gcc (and who knows, what else
needs to be upgraded, too) i would like to ask if you think that it might
be possible to play .ogg files on this machine. it's possible to play
mp3 with mpg123 in mono (i think the soundcard doesn't even support stereo)
and 8-bit mode (at least i think so) with a load between 0.7 and 0.9.

thanks & regards,
   wernfried

-> Wernfried Haas - w.haas at xover.mud.at / amnenion at xover.mud.at
-> Homepage: http://xover.mud.at/~amnenion