[vorbis] vorbisenc API docs

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Fri Aug 9 06:35:30 PDT 2002

Hi,

I'm trying repeatedly to get some more information on the vorbis
encoding API. My last questions on this list were regarding
vorbis_encode_ctl().

Of course prior to posting such questions to the list, I checked the
vorbis web site for info. Unfortunately there is no information on the
related function, the page
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/vorbisenc/vorbis_encode_ctl.html
merely says: not yet implemented (even though it is).

As I didn't get a response to my last question (though some earlier
questions were answered, and much thanks for that), I'd like to know
what is the "official policy" regarding the documentation of the exposed
API of the vorbis library. E.g. is it the intention of the developers to
document this API, it's only that they have more pressings things to do?
Or is it that this issue is not regarded as essential.

As a user of this API, I find it essential to have documentation for it.
Having to figure out how it works by trial-and-error is a waste of time.
I suppose it is in the interest of the Ogg Vorbis developer community to
make more and more applications use this format, and the trivial way for
this is to make them use the provided libraries. Having a properly
documented API is very inportant in this respect.

If the problem is really the lack of time, I'd be glad to compile such a
documentation, only if I got the answers myself.