[vorbis] vorbiscomment question.

xdfisl xdfisl at btopenworld.com
Fri Aug 9 03:44:03 PDT 2002

Hello,

I am writing a script which reads and writes vorbis comments using the
vorbiscomment utility from vorbis-tools. I have just one question
regarding the --raw switch.

   Raw mode (--raw, -R) will read and write comments in utf8,
   rather than converting to the user's character set. This is
   useful for using vorbiscomment in scripts. However, this is
   not sufficient for general round-tripping of comments in all
   cases.

What is the "user's character set" likely to be on a Debian Linux
system?
By round-tripping I assume it is meant to read, modify, and write back a
set of comments -- which is exactly what I am looking to do.
I assume not using --raw would only be appropriate if the comments do
not contain any 'special' characters which are not supported by the
shell character set? But why would --raw not be sufficient in some
cases?

Thanks for your help,
Dani