[vorbis] New decode chip

Shawn core at enodev.com
Mon Aug 5 17:14:11 PDT 2002

I remember it.  Specifically, it is genetic algorithms as they relate to
FPGAs.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/29/007258&mode=thread&tid=137

At issue is whether you could feed it the source (an ogg) and a dest
(name your output fmt) and expect an ogg decoder to evolve. I think then
you'd get a specific this file to that file changer.

You'd need to break the ogg encoding functions into their atomic pieces
and then evolve routines to duplicate the functionality. It's
non-trivial just to plan such an undertaking for ogg vorbis.

Even then, there's a question about how deterministic the behavior of
these magic programs would be, especially on different hardware.

Just wait for clockless, analog and FPGA based systems, then /maybe/
quantum computing. They'll probably each find a niche in very different
hardware. (FPGA's have potential in PDAs on up, but qbits will always
likely be the realm of larger systems)

On 08/05, Oliver D. Jones said something like:
> Does anyone remember that experiment done in New Scientist, where they
> had a FPGA "mutate" until it did a specific job well enough? I wonder if
> something similar could be done to encode Ogg Vorbis. It might come up
> with some improvements that even the cleverest hand-tuners may miss.
>
> Oliver.

Shawn Leas
core at enodev.com

On the other hand, you have different fingers...
						-- Stephen Wright