[vorbis] New decode chip

Olaf Marzocchi olaf_lists at virgilio.it
Mon Aug 5 13:28:43 PDT 2002

At 17.52 05/08/2002, you wrote:
>smoerk <smoerk at gmx.de> wrote:
>: Do you think the chip is powerful enough for decoding ogg/vorbis?
>:
>: Spec say 50Mhz to 91Mhz, MIPS Risc processor.
>
>Decoding ogg vorbis isn't really all that intensive. If it can do mp3 and
>wma, I'd bet that it can probably do ogg vorbis just fine.

Newbie question: every time we reach a better compression we have to use
more power (rar compared to zip, mp3 to one of the first compression
schemes, divx compared to cinepak,...). Ogg compress more than mp3 but at
about the same speed.
Is there an explanation to a such silly question?

Thank you
Olaf