[vorbis] New decode chip

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at arnoldnet.net
Mon Aug 5 07:57:07 PDT 2002

Tone wrote:

>Hello,
>
>The manufacturer Cirrus has launched a chip, the CS7410, which can handle decompression of MP3, WMA and "future formats". It contains an 'audio' 16 bit DSP and an ARM core and is supposed to be a cheap solution, IE to be put into cheap $50 CD players. Here's the link to the article on it:
>
>http://www.electronicsweekly.co.uk/issue/articleview.asp?vpath=/articles/2002/07/31/tech02.htm&mode=archive
>
>Sorry for the long URL. If that fails, goto http://www.electronicsweekly.co.uk/ click on Archive, then search for the part number. My DSP programming is pretty much nonexistent, but it does looks as though this chip might be up to Vorbis decoding? OK so I wouldn't expect some individual to rush out and build a player based on this chip, but once hardware becomes available that uses this chip, it might become easier to 'modify' the firmware to add Vorbis, no?
>
>I'd be interested in heard what people think

Cirrus's page on the chip:
http://www.cirrus.com/design/products/overview/detail.cfm?d=912

Chip specs:
http://www.cirrus.com/pubs/cs7410-1.pdf?DocumentID=894

Page says "Supports MP3, WMA, and other audio decompression standards
upon request" -- anyone want to request?

This looks like all the hardware guts of a CD player, except of course
the actual CD reading part, on one chip, plus DSP to do compressed audio.

--
Kenneth Arnold