[vorbis] Problems with ogg/vorbis python bindings.

rballais at etudiant.univ-lr.fr rballais at etudiant.univ-lr.fr
Fri Aug 2 14:45:25 PDT 2002

Quoting xdfisl <xdfisl at btopenworld.com>:

> I compiled and installed pyogg followed by pyvorbis, running:
>
> $ ./config_unix.py
> $ python setup.py build
> and as root:
> # python setup.py install
>
> for pyogg and pyvorbis in turn. This completed without error, however
> upon trying to import ogg.vorbis in IDLE I get an import error:
>
> ImportError: libvorbisfile.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
>
> I was told this may have been caused by an older version of the modules
> lying around somewhere, so I did a: find / -name "*ogg*" and find /
> -name "*voribs*" and deleted everything associated with ogg and vorbis,
> then did a clean install of libao, libogg, libvorbis, vorbistools,
> pyogg, and pyvorbis.
>
> This is the ldd output on vorbismodule.so
>
> asqui at martha:/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/ogg$ ldd vorbismodule.so
>         libvorbis.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libvorbis.so.0 (0x4000e000)
>         libvorbisfile.so.3 => not found
>         libvorbisenc.so.2 => not found
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4002f000)
>         libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4014c000)
>         libogg.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0 (0x4016d000)
>         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)
>
> I still get an import error.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: libvorbisfile.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
> >>>

> Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie to this stuff so I don't have much clue
> what is going on.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Dani
>

> --- >8 ----

$ locate libvorbisfile

And you may have something like /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so and other files.
So make a symbolic link to the real file:
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3

Do the same operations for libvorbisenc.so.2 .

This the output I've obtained on my system:
$ locate libvorbisfile
/usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.0
/usr/lib/libvorbisfile.a
/usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so
/usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.0.2.0
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.so.0.2.0
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.so
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.la
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.a

$ locate libvorbisenc
/usr/lib/libvorbisenc.so.0
/usr/lib/libvorbisenc.a
/usr/lib/libvorbisenc.so
/usr/lib/libvorbisenc.so.0.1.0
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisenc.so.0.1.0
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisenc.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisenc.so
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisenc.la
/usr/local/lib/libvorbisenc.a

With this kind of problems, use symolic links: it may work lots of times !

Romain