[vorbis] Strange dropouts

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Thu Aug 1 18:24:19 PDT 2002

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 00:25, Tomi Jylhä-Ollila wrote:
> First of all, *thanks* to all the developers for their hard work on Ogg
> Vorbis. It's greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm having a problem with encoding in Debian GNU/Linux 3.0. The oggs
> contain occasional dropouts and "blips" here and there.
>
> Example files:
>
> Original (~7 MB):
> http://personal.inet.fi/musiikki/nebularia/test/t2title.flac
>
> Ogg Vorbis file (~800 KB):
> http://personal.inet.fi/musiikki/nebularia/test/t2title.ogg
>
> Decoded back from Ogg Vorbis (~6.5 MB):
> http://personal.inet.fi/musiikki/nebularia/test/t2title-decoded.flac
>
> I've tried to compile all the ogg and vorbis-related stuff with gcc
> 2.95, 3.0 and 3.1 and also tested the official deb files but none of
> them fixed the problem for me. These errors don't reproduce exactly the
> same way if I re-encode the ogg file but _do_ sound always the same when
> playing it so the errors are probably in the file.
>
> Windows binaries, however, work fine.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is? TIA for any help.

I downloaded the ogg and played it without any noticable problems. You either
have some sort of decoder problem, or (more likely) your system latency is
high enough to prevent the decoder from keeping the audio buffer full.

I suggest you use xmms and the crossfade plugin. In the misc options for the
crossfader, enable 'Show Buffer Monitor', then play your oggs and watch the
monitor to see how fast the decoder is fulling the buffers, and what sort of
activity is slowing it down.

John