[vorbis] Archival quality for music

Olaf Marzocchi olaf_lists at virgilio.it
Thu Aug 1 10:47:53 PDT 2002

This mail depends upon the fact that I don't have a couple of good
earphones ;-)

I read in the site that q=6 is a very high quality, but does it contain
perceivable differencies from the original? (for 95% of people, of course).

I also found q=6 to produce files slightly bigger (1/10 bigger) than those
produced with lame VBR q=2 (about 192 bps on average). I always thought
LAME VBR q=2 produced files with very little (if audible) differencies. May
OGG obtain better results than mp3 only at low bitrates? (I don't think so,
but I don't have enough skills to be sure).
I also think that ogg q=6 is the minimum quality level to use with ogg
because it has a better way to encode stereo than q=5.x.

To summarize, I need an advice about the quality level to set in order to
achieve comparable or better results than mp3s (LAME) at about 192 kbps or,
as preferred alternative, to produce files with very little perceivable
differencies form originals.
If this value has a nominal bitrate of more than 256 kbps please give me an
idea of the level of distorctions at 192 kbps nominal (OGG of course).

That's all!

Thank you in advance

Olaf