[vorbis] Tag Proposal -> Tag Standard

Myles Buckley mylesb at conexsys.net
Thu Apr 25 09:55:39 PDT 2002

Sander Sweers [mailto:infirit at xs4all.nl] banged on the keyboard to say:

> My winamp only plays vorbis files! :P The question is, does it show
> you what you want to know. My opinion is that a tag only needs to
> report basics, track nr, album, artist and comment. Who needs more ??
> I know that the id3v1 had some limitations on how many characters
> you could store, but was fixed with id3v2.
>
> Greetz Sander

Uggh, id3v1 was an evil kludge, id3v2 was NOT a fix.  It is simply
a larger, uglier, messier kludge to compensate for kludgev1 limits.

id3 is EVIL. Do not look to any of its versions as a solution, rather,
recognise it for its only redeeming feature - it was an inspiration to
create the sensible, extensible tagging system in OGG.

Myles