[vorbis] minimum processor/ram follow up

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Apr 3 15:36:42 PST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:16:24PM -0100, fungus did utter:
> Becker, Rob wrote:
> >I'm hoping to use an old laptop as an ogg vorbis player in my car.
> >If I have a Pentium 100 w/ 40 megs of RAM running linux with a
> > console based ogg vorbis player will I be likely to run into
> > problems with performance?
> >

> Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I think you'll be
> _right_ on the limit of the CPU power.

That sounds like a similar spec system to what I used to play mp3's on.
(amd5x86/133 and 48 meg of ram). For that, I found that mp3 playback was
fine, so long as:
. I kept a fairly large buffer for mpg123 (something like -b 8192)
. This meant that any small, sudden CPU usage spike would cause
  problems. (eg, the figlet clock I ran on one tty)

By the sounds of it, you're planning a system that wont be doing much
else at all... avoid running anything you don't need to when you don't
need to, and my guess is you'll be fine :)

.../Nemo