[vorbis] Tag Proposal -> Tag Standard

Erik Stenborg d99papa at dtek.chalmers.se
Thu Apr 25 23:36:29 PDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, John Morton wrote:

> How often do you need to write a tag? Now, how often do you need to read the
> tags relative to writing them? If the tag is at the end of the file, you have
> to scan to the end to read it, which takes a lot longer than just reading it
> from the beginning. This really begins to add up if your playlist software
> likes to suck up all the tags of all the music you have.

I hope you realize this argument is wrong... If not, hint: seeking to the
end of the file takes constant time regardless of file size.

> Multiple feilds makes a field behave like a
> hash/dictionary/associative array.  It's a nice feature, and it's not
> as if your tag editor or displayer has to present it that way.

But then you miss the purpose of the tag. Making an associative array is
nothing like "jotting a quick note on the bottom of a CDR". Anyway, tell
me why you need these properties from a tag. (btw, I wouldn't call an
object a hash if it returns three strings when you ask it
"GetValue('ARTIST')" )

Regards,
Erik