[vorbis] Tag Proposal -> Tag Standard

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Wed Apr 24 20:11:21 PDT 2002

Alright.  So, the tag proposal that has been labored over for some
months has now been reclassified a bit.  There new URL is now here:

http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-recommendations.html

And is prefaced by the following statement:

"The following recommendations were developed by a community of
Ogg/Vorbis users for their own use."

I believe the implication is that this document is not, and will not,
be endorsed by xiph or the vorbis team.  This disturbs me a bit, and
think there should be some discussion on the matter.  Here are some
points which I feel are pertinent.

1) The v-comment.html document (the "Standard") on xiph.org is a
suitably weak standard.  It was entirely appropriate for the time at
which it was published.  As I see it, the intent was to develop
something which at the outset was clearly superior to id3.  This does
not preclude development of a more concrete standard.  In other words,
the plan was to leave the Standard was sparse only until a more
complete standard could be devised and reviewed over time, concurrently
with the development of ogg vorbis.  The Standard was simply a
framework on which to build something better.

2) As far as traffic to this list, it seems very little has been
decided about a new meta-data format which would supplant comment tags.
 Let's see - it won't be in XML; that's about all I can recall from the
discussion.  In other words, it hasn't come along very far.

3) The inadequacy of the id3 system is well-known.  In particular,
classical music is not given fair treatment.  And so, we have id3v2, a
conflicting and/or supplemental standard.  While id3v1 support is
widespread, id3v2 support is still spotty.  Some applications which
*can* use id3v2 prefer id3v1 when given both! *cough*winamp*cough*
It's a mess.

4) The need for a concrete standard is very real.  The average user
needs to be given clear direction.  Hard-core ogg vorbis users have
been around; they've tried id3, hated it, and have had excellent ideas
about a superior standard.  I think that's evidenced by the lively
discussions that have deluged the list from time to time.

The average GUI, point-and-click user, on the other hand, doesn't have
the will or inclination to personally develop a tag standard.  It's
clear that the questions are not always obvious and the answers are
never clear cut - check out the archives, man!  The user will want
boxes to fill in and a button labelled "Save".

5) In the end, without a definitive standard, ogg tags will likely be
left in the hands of GUI developers.  Why is this so bad?  Well,
imagine MusicMatch decides to implement a certain set of tags, and
lacking any good external documentation to reference, they develop
there own "Ogg Standard" which is published to their web site.
Immediately they become a large, influential force in the Ogg Vorbis
community.  Again, lacking good documentation to reference, P2P
developers latch on to MusicMatch's standard as *the* way to tag oggs.
:P

6) Developers, being the sticklers that they are, will probably not be
comfortable with the Standard.  Discerning developers, anyway, who
recognize the short-comings of the id3 system.  They will want
something concrete on which to build code.  Not an obscure, idealistic
dream. :)

7) The existing Standard, even to the hard-core user, is only useful as
a framework developing a personal standard.  Those who will make oggs
and keep them for themselves might be perfectly satisfied by this
situation.  But it does nothing to build and support an Ogg Vorbis
community.

8) I, as a user, am not interested in an audio format that does not
provide a reasonably robust system for identifying music.  I have
avoided encoding *any classical music at all* to the MP3 format.
Instead, I have been holding for Ogg Vorbis.  I'm sure there are many
others that feel the same.

9) Any concerns about the Proposal as a whole should have have been
brought forward *long* ago.  Long before so many people have
contributed so much time to develop the Proposal with the understanding
that it would eventually become the "New Standard".  This work has been
conducted in public on the vorbis list, and always with the overriding
goal of developing something which benefits the Ogg Vorbis community as
a whole.

10) Overall, I feel the Proposal is nothing but beneficial to users,
developers, xiph, the entire Ogg Vorbis community, the Open Source
community, humanity, etc.  I haven't seen any concrete contrary
arguments.  In all honesty, I'd love to see them.  I'm always up for a
little debate. ;)

Finally, I need to clarify that this is *not* a rant against Jonathan
Walther.  As I understand the situation, the changes were made in
response to pressure from others within the community.  I sincerely
hope these individuals will engage in this discussion, as well.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org