[vorbis] what quality ?

Troy Telford troyt at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 20 21:48:02 PDT 2002

>could you explain a bit more lossy channel coupling?
>
>as i know that channel coupling means that the encoder uses the
>similarities between the stereo channels too.....
>
>bye,
>gabor

I'll give a couple of (feeble) interpretations, but they are mostly
interpretations of what I remember reading at
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/stereo.html

This is by necessity a very technical document.  It describes the stereo
models Vorbis uses, as well as techniques used in programming Vorbis
(There are all kinds of optimizations that make use of the limits of
human hearing.)

But, for the less-mathematically inclined, here's my own (flawed)
interpretation:

Every wave has (among other things) three distinguishing features:
 Phase, Frequency, and Amplitude.

Just about everybody knows what the last two are.  Phase can be thought
of as the wave being moved left-right for one cycle.  An example is that
the cosine and sine function really are the same function, but at a 90
degree phase shift.

Dual Stereo:  Each channel is entirely seperate, and is stored seperately.

Lossless Stereo:  Basically couples the two channels in a way that
decodes identically to the dual stereo mode.  This is because a large
amount of most sounds are heard by both ears, with only small
differences in signal phase or time.  So you save the data once, with
the difference between the two, and you get a perfect copy of both.

Phase Stereo:  Makes use of the fact that the human ear is nearly deaf
to signal phase above 4kHz, meaning that the ear can't tell very well
which direction it's coming from, so we can compress the data here.
 While it's possible to detect the difference in special cases (when
you're searching for it), if you're not looking for it, you won't find
it.  (Of course, audophiles /do/ look for it)

Point stereo:  Eliminates the out-of-phase signal entirely.  Can be
detected when using headphones (perfect stereo separation) so it's
generally used where it's not noticible.

Mixed stereo:  Guess?

As I said, this is a rough idea of what is happening, but it's still
/way/ too much information for 99+% of the human population anyway, so I
think it may suffice.

(Any corrections would be appreciated if only for my own enrichment)