[vorbis] Tag changes

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Sun Apr 14 17:52:27 PDT 2002

On 14 Apr 2002 at 22:10, Beni Cherniavksy wrote:

> People writing 02-04-13 should be shot at least
> once in a hundred years :-).

As a programmer who had to battle through several Y2K conversions, I
can't help but whole-heartedly agree!  :)

> Incomplete data like 2001 or 2001-02 should obviously be allowed.

> The word "must" should not appear in the document IMO.  For example I
> can write 19?7-03-04 if I didn't hear well and keep it like this until I
> find out...  Possibilites for scratching notes are endless, this should
> only be a strong recomendation and any programs that break on
> outstanding tags are broken.

We've gone around on this question more than once now, and just can't
seem to decide.  There's no doubt that this is a standard quite
different from the original - a fact that I've been reluctant to
accept.  However, we must move on.

So, I offer the following solution, with the understanding that it is
probably not the perfect solution.  I won't even say that I recommend
it. ;)

Place this data into a different tag - say, INCOMPLETEDATE.  Or, if
you'd rather use standard tags, COMMENT.  Then, once a complete date is
available, promote it to DATE.

> First define how do you _want_ them to be sorted at all in this case...

You see the extra work, though.  My statement was more of an
observation than a critique.  No one should expect sorting by date to
be trivial, no matter the format of DATE.

> Consider puting the additional information in a separate DATE tag if
> this matter to you.  If you sort in unix you can trom that additional
> informtaion with some easy pipe...

You lost me there!  :(

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway