[vorbis] Tag changes

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Wed Apr 10 21:55:03 PDT 2002

On 10 Apr 2002 at 14:10, Beni Cherniavksy wrote:

> A second reason is automatically correct sorting.

Actually, after a little break from the discussion, I see now that this
is not necessarily true.  ISO 8601 supports a wide variety of dates.
They would only be directly sortable if every ogg in question used the
very same variation of ISO 8601.  So, a stricter format would be
required, such as the one at the W3C site that Ben linked.

Second, sorting is not trivial if more than one date is associated with
a file.

Third (I keep adding as I go along :), because DATE can have further
information, you have to be careful if sorting by additional fields.
The date portion would need to be extracted before using it as a basis
for a sort.  For example, to sort by date then performer, any
descriptive date information would skew the sort, because it has
precedence over performer.  Instead, the date would have to be
extracted first - supposing the user *didn't* want the sort to include
the extra DATE information.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway