[vorbis] Tag changes

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Tue Apr 9 10:54:44 PDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 10:18:24AM -0700, David Gasaway wrote:
>Jonathan Walther wrote:
>
>>I don't recall you providing any links yesterday.
>
>Now it's a link to links :)
>
>http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200204/0089.html

Thank you for the links.  I did some archive searching myself, and found
these two posts from March of 2001.

Post by David Wheeler, recommending DATE tag be in ISO 8601 format:
  http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200103/0021.html
Reply by Michael Smith, recommending it be suggested, but not required:
  http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200103/0049.html

And that is all that an archive search pulled up.  However I didn't join
the mailing list until a few months after that exchange had taken place.

So I did a grep of my vorbis mailing list mailbox, and here is what I found
in a thread from January of 2002:

  From: Beni Cherniavksy <cben at techunix.technion.ac.il>

  Monty has clearly said that ISO 8601 should be used for all dates.  See
  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html - it wins on all fronts.

I then replied "added", and noone made any comment about the addition.

I took Benis word for it.  However, looking at v-comment.html again, the
ISO8601 suggestion was never added.  As my experience above indicates,
the list archives aren't very accurate, but it seems Monty never did say
anything about ISO8601 on a public list.  However, that doesn't make the
suggestion a bad one.

Because the current wording seems to have caused confusion I have clarified
it.  It now reads

  "The date should be in ISO 8601 format, but is not required to be".

Is that satisfactory?

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2