[vorbis] Tag changes

David Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Mon Apr 8 14:24:38 PDT 2002

Ben Pearre wrote:

> Then they are advocating making it very hard to distribute a piece of
> music that consists of more than one file.

In the interest of flexibility and free will.

> What this comes down to is whether you believe that it makes sense to
> put some necessary information in the filename and other necessary
> information in the tags, or whether the tags should be the uniform
> method of associating metadata with a file.  Convince me that some
> information should ONLY be in the filename and not in the tag!

You have to understand the purpose of the tags.  There are plans a
different metadata format, that I imagine will be stricter than the
tags.  Tags are meant for human-readable comment-like data.

> Ok, close enough.  It's more obvious which is which if they're named
> as I suggested, but some of the other tags have very non-intuitive
> names, so I bow to precedent there :)

You may always suggest different names, but that doesn't mean the names
will change.  I speak from experience. ;)

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org