[vorbis] Trying to figure out the library...

Shon Ferguson shonferg at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 7 17:20:35 PDT 2002

I'm new to this list so... Hello everyone :)

Anyway, I want to use Ogg in my Windows-based game but am having trouble
figureing out how to get the library to work.  I downloaded the "Windows
SDK" snapshot and included all the relevant files in my MSVC++ 6.0 project
on Windows 2000, but the examples do not run due to memory overruns.  Here
is some code I tried to run, which is, as far as I can tell from the
documentation, correct.  If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, please
do.

#include <iostream.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <memory.h>
#include "vorbis/codec.h"
#include "vorbis/vorbisfile.h"

int main()
{
        // Open the Ogg file
        FILE * OggFile;
        OggFile = fopen("Yoshi Speak.ogg", "r");
        if (OggFile == NULL)
        {
                cout << "Error Opening file";
                return 0;
        }

        // Make the file into a Vorbis file
        OggVorbis_File vf;
        memset(&vf, 0, sizeof(OggVorbis_File));

        {
                cout << "Input does not appear to be an Ogg bitstream.\n";
                return 0;
        }

        ov_clear(&vf);

        // return success
        return 1;
}

The error occurs the moment I call a the ov_open function.  Commenting it
out supresses the error.  The error reads:

Ogg.exe has generated errors and will be closed by WIndowsw  You will need
to restart the program.  An error log is being created. [OK]

If it occurs in debug mode, the error reads:

Unhandled exception in Ogg.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0x0000005: Access Violation [OK]

And the execution point is shown to be within the assembly code of NTDLL.

Thanks again!

--Shon F.