[vorbis] Tag changes

Ben Pearre bwpearre at mit.edu
Fri Apr 5 07:43:24 PST 2002

Trying to label Don Giovanni...  something like 72 parts.  May I
re-open the discussion of part names vs. numbers?  (a suggestion
follows the quote)

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 04:46:48PM -0800, David Gasaway wrote:
> Ben Pearre wrote:
>
> >My request is simply to have one field for movement number, and
> >another for movement name (you'd want to order the tracks by number,
> >but not by name), and forcing the number and name to be in the same
> >place seems contrived.
>
> The order can be maintained with the track number.  But...
>
> >FILENAME="$composer - ($opus.$part) $title - $tracktitle ($conductor).ogg"
>
> Track numbers wouldn't look appropriate where you put $part.
>
> I still don't know where you were going with TRACKTITLE, but something
> like PARTNUMBER seems appropriate.  ;)

You're right, it shouldn't be TRACK*, but PART*.

Would it be possible to specify PART as the name of the part and
PARTNUMBER as its sequence number, or some such?  Ideally, so as to
make the tags maximally self-documenting, I'd go with PARTNAME and
PARTNUMBER.  Could PART be a deprecated synonym for one or the other?

Cheers!
-Ben

--
bwpearre at alumni.princeton.edu                http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben