[vorbis] low bitrate sounding better? (20k-30k)

Derek at CD Baby dereklist at cdbaby.com
Wed Apr 3 13:36:13 PST 2002

At SxSW I ran into the Xiph gang and someone said something in passing that the new version of Ogg Vorbis would have much-improved low-bitrate quality.

Wondering - true?  Details?  ETA?

At CD Baby all lo-fi soundclips are still in the SFERA format*.  At 20k bitrates, they sound GREAT which is why I stick with it, but I'd much rather switch them ALL over to OGG if there was a way to make 20k-30k sound as good as RealAudio G2 does at that bitrate.

Go listen to the 20k birate clips at CD Baby.  (http://www.cdbaby.com/new  <--- good starting point.)

Let me know if some beta/CVS versions of OGG encoders can make 20k sound that good yet?

I'd love to do the switch, and help promote ogg files to the world.   (We get 100,000 unique users a week, listening to the RealAudio clips now.  I'd love to get all of them to go download ogg plugins.)

--
Derek Sivers, CD Baby, Hostbaby
http://www.cdbaby.com  <-- best new independent music

* = (Stupid Fucking Evil Real Audio.)