[vorbis] minimum processor\ram requirements for decoding vorbis files

Paul de Weerd paul at mail.me.maar.nu
Wed Apr 3 13:32:11 PST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 04:16:32PM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
| On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 16:12, Paul de Weerd wrote:
| > On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:55:06PM -0700, volsung at asu.edu wrote:
| > | On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Becker, Rob wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | 166 MHz as long as you have enough RAM to prevent swapping from occuring
| > | during playback (depends on what else you are running).  I think a Pentium 100
| > | MHz would be the minimum requirement for reliable playback in Linux and the
| > | current decoders.
| >
| > Running a P120 didn't quite cut it under Windows with the RC3 WinAMP
| > plugin. All my linux boxen are quite a bit faster, so I can't really
| > comment on that, but I do wonder if the bitrate of the track matters
| > when it comes to resource requirements. Anyone care to comment ? I
| > know encoding files requires more resources as the bitrate (actually
| > the quality) goes up, but does the same hold for decoding ?
| >
| > Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
|
| decoding a 8kbit sample vs. a 200kbit sample is a bit different not
| because it's more difficult but because you have to decode more in the
| same amount of time.

True, but one could argue that turning only 2 KB into a second of
audio requires more CPU cycles because .. actually .. i dont know
because of what, but I could understand someone arguing that turning
200kbit into 16bit stereo 44.1KHz sound is 'easier' then doing the
same with 8kbit. It appears to be less work.

Of course, reading 200kbit from disk requires more disk I/O then
reading 8kbit (given a large enough buffer) and it requires processing
more data per second. But it does seem harder to turn 8kbit into audio
then 200kbit.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/