[vorbis] Quality & Tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Apr 1 14:56:50 PST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:11:18AM -0500, Andy (Dale) wrote:
>: Is it possible to put this sort of stuff into the optional tags now,
>: or is this more of a request for formalisation to enable machine
>: reading? If so, what are the goals? Are there really people who
>: collect ripped CDs but won't accept files ripped with the wrong
>: software or at the wrong settings?

As far as I recall, the tags aren't meant to be machine readable or
parseable.  They are for human consumption and information.  More formal
information should go in the metadata stream.  This is my interpretation
of what Monty has said in the past.  So, for instance, if the tags when
displayed tell YOU that it was ripped from CD foo with program xxx at
yyy bitrate, that is fine.  To make up a parseable format is a going a
bit beyond the mandate of vorbis tags; also it would be a hella lot of
work.  There are so many different possible encoders, and they would
record their options in different ways if they used different algorithms
or schemes.

>What I was on the lines of was trading music online, peer-to-peer.  I always
>hate downloading a song which may say it is 320kbit mp3, and very well may
>be that, except it was recorded with a microphone held up to a staticy radio
>station coming out of some poor speakers, and was recorded to an 8bit
>22050rate wav, then encoded to a 320kbit mp3.  this sort of tracking system
>would enable people to see what exactly the file went thru to get to where
>it is now.  right now i wouldn't put it into the tags because yes it can be
>very much information.  i was just thinking something like maybe putting a

I would like to know, do the proposed SOURCEMEDIA and ENCODING tags help
at all here?

ENCODING Is a free format tag where encoding software can record as much
detail about the options and source material, such as khz, it used to
produce the Ogg file.  Plus of course it should record it's own name
and version so one knows what the encoder was; it could even record the
date and time it did the encoding in the encoding tag.

I am guessing, but I think if you recorded material by holding a
microphone up to a speaker playing a CD, the source media tag should
NOT be "CD", but should be "microphone", and in the source media tag
you can give as much detail as you want about the microphone and speakers
as you want.

>Maybe not won't accept, just that they would rather make sure the file was
>done to their standards before getting it.  This would keep them from
>unnecessarily downloading a file they don't even want.

We need a version of gnutella that will show you the text tags of an Ogg
file so you can view them before downloading. :-)

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2