[vorbis] channel coupling in rc2

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at eunet.yu
Thu Sep 6 02:08:28 PDT 2001

Hello John,

Wednesday, 05 September, 2001, 16:09:34, you wrote:

>>  content there (MPC works in the same way, right?). IMO the encoder
>>  shouldn't encode past 20kHz under any circumstance since CD players
>>  also cut-off at 20kHz.
JM> What about encoding DAT? DVD-Audio? Your own 48kHz sample rate creations? If
JM> there isn't any frequencies above some point, the encoder won't encode them.

I was thinking about audio CD only (44.1kHz). When dealing with
higher sample rates, the encoder should probably try to go higher if
it is really needed, but even then I doubt that it would go much
higher above 20kHz. The benefit of higher sample rates is mostly in
increased resolution, not bandwidth.

JM> But maybe you know that and where making some other point :-)

Well the point could be is that some people seem to worry too much about
bandwidth and not about the quality of what has been encoded. :)

--
Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov/
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3