[vorbis] new ogg stream

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Sep 5 22:39:43 PDT 2001

Hi:

Now that I have cable, I can listen to such things.  I tuned into the
64kbps stream and noticed something a bit odd.  I'd be interested to know
if this is using RC2 or a more recent CVS.  The encoder seemed to be on the
threshhold between 2 different modes, one where the highs came through
intact, and one where they don't.  It seems to spend most of its time in
the lower mode, often hitting rates in the 40's.  The artifact was a sort
of watery sound, something that reminded me of LAME at MPEG2 rates at lower
bitrates.  You can hear it pretty clearly with headphones.  At times,
however, it would leap out of this mode into one that did better justice to
the music (particularly the "drums" and square waves) and sounded much more
like the 128kbps stream.

I don't know how 64kbps usually does with dance music, but the little
testing I've done with RC2 has not yielded such drastic results.  Perhaps
this is the re-encoding?

Still kicks MP3.

Geoff.