lowpass option (Was: RE: [vorbis] channel coupling in rc2)

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Tue Sep 4 15:09:19 PDT 2001

Gian-Carlo Pascutto (gcp at sjeng.org) wrote:

> Picking a higher bitrate in Vorbis does exactly that
> (because you're NOT actually picking a higher bitrate, your
> picking a higher lowpass with less HF masking and a less
> aggressive stereo mode).

That's the problem -- you (currently) can't specify a different lowpass
without also simultaneously specifying a different stereo mode.  I might
want a higher lowpass without "wasting" bits on a less aggressive stereo
mode.

> (if it puts your mind at ease, Monty is experimenting with putting
> the lowpass at 20Khz for 128kbps)

That's quite sufficient for me. :-)

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>