[vorbis] comments+tags CD data

Robert Woodcock rcw at debian.org
Fri Sep 28 13:31:23 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 01:10:39PM -0700, rillian wrote:
> We originally recommended (informally) CDDBID, But given gracenote's
> nastiness ('CDDB' is trademarked in the us) FREEDBID seems a better name
> for that hash.

DISCID sounds more neutral to me. There's no reason to use any organization
in the name of a comment type.

> Storing the disc toc unhashed is an interesting idea, since there are
> several schemes for computing identifiers. DISCID strikes me as a poor
> name for that, though. I'd probably use something like DISCTOC or CDTOC.

That's what the ID3v2 people decided on for their MCDI (Music CD Identifier)
frametype[1]. I would implement an option to cd-discid[2] to output it, but
I don't know of any playback software that uses MCDI so that I can test it.

I agree that either DISCTOC or CDTOC would be a better name for binary TOC
contents.

Robert Woodcock - rcw at debian.org
"Hiring assassins [...] is not something Americans are very good at."
	-- Henry Kissinger

[1] http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames.txt section 4.4
[2] http://lly.org/~rcw/cd-discid/