[vorbis] Ogg Vorbis and Bitrate

Jay Sprenkle cupycake_jay at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 09:34:53 PDT 2001

Ugh! What I wanted to know was why
byte measurements are in powers of 2, when every other usage
of the same word refers to powers of 10? To use your own argument,
The greeks standardized the usage of kilo more than a thousand years
ago.
"If it works, why fix it?" So why did someone in 1900's feel the need
to redefine "kilo" but only as applies to bytes? What they did was,
again using your own words, "really cause confusion" by changing the
definition arbitrarily and inconsistantly.

Jonathon Fowler wrote:

> Bit-measurements have always been expressed as powers of 10 (ie. kilobit
>   == 1000 bit, megabit == 1000000 bit, etc). Byte-measurements have
> always been expressed as powers of 2 (ie. kilobyte == 1024 bytes,
> megabyte == 1048576 bytes). It would be best to pick a convention and
> stick to it regardless of whether it's right or wrong otherwise there
> really will be confusion. Just look at the US and British
> interpretations of a "billion" dollars. A billion dollars US is a
> thousand-million dollars (usually) British. Frankly, if it works, why
> fix it.
>
> Jonathon
>
> Jay Sprenkle wrote:

> >>Kilobit is 1000 bits
> >>Kilobyte is 1024 bits
> >>
> >>Always (at least I really hope so!)
> >>

> > I assume you had a typo above, and you meant:
> >
> > Kilobit is 1000 bits
> > Kilobyte is 1024 BYTEs
> >
> > I've heard lots of discussion about it,
> > but what I was taught in school was kilo
> > was greek for 1000. In most usages "kilo XXX"
> > means "1000 of XXX". In electronics terms
> > I understand we use it collectively wrong
> > from a linguistic accuracy point of view
> > and define it as a power of 2, or 1024.
> >
> > I was not aware that anyone was defining
> > it differently for bits vs bytes:
> > kilo means 1000 for bits, 1024 for bytes.
> >
> > Who came up with that, and can we start
> > stomping it out as quickly as possible?
> > We really need more absurd inconsistant
> > rules in the world.

> > containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No subject is needed.
> > Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be ignored/filtered.
> >

> --
> After a number of decimal places, nobody gives a damn.
>
> Jonathon Fowler
> jonof at edgenetwk.com - ICQ 17263235
> http://jonof.edgenetwk.com/

---