[vorbis] RC2 artifacts

J.P.Morris jpm at it-he.org
Tue Sep 18 12:20:59 PDT 2001

Since RC2, I've begun re-ripping my albums and converting them to Ogg,
as it rapidly approaches maturity.  Of the albums I have done so far,
everything has worked perfectly, except for one album:

'Starfire Burning Upon The Ice-Veiled Thone Of Ultima-Thule' by Bal-Sagoth.
(They go in for really long titles, see the track name).

Most of the tracks on this album have artifacts at some point.  I have
tried another album by this band ('Battle Magic') and that has encoded
properly under the same conditions.

The tracks on Starfire Burning sound like a low bit-rate MP3, even when
higher bitrates than the default are specified.  Lame using VBR encodes
the tracks properly with no artifacts.
It is the vocals that suffer: they contain high frequencies and these
are getting mashed.

The most affected track is #8 (or 7.. first track is data) which is
lengthily titled:

"And Lo, When the Imperium Marches against Gul-Kothoth Then Dark Sorceries
 Shall Enshroud The Citadel Of The Obsidian Crown."

If this bug is of any interest, and no-one has the album, I have prepared
a 30 second sound clip, compressed with FLAC (lossless) and a specimen Ogg
file that I can put in my web space temporarily for debugging if need be.

I am running Mandrake 8.0, which has gcc 2.96.  I also have gcc 3.0.1, but
I do not normally use it.

Any ideas?

JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-  doug at it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games            http://www.it-he.org