[vorbis] Vorbis settings ????

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Sat Sep 15 13:00:04 PDT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Patrick Masters wrote:

> What would be the settings for Vorbis that would be comparable to mp3 192,
> 160, and 128K?

That would be about 160, 128, and 96k.

> >From what i have heard, is that vorbis 80K sounds as well as 128K mp3.

Well, 128k from a bad encoder. To get the equivalent of 128k from a good
encoder you'd have to use 96k.

> How would compare the spectrum analysis and what types of programs should I
> use to see the differences?

You can run all the spectral analysis and audio differncing you want, but that
still won't tell you how good it sounds. The only way to figure that out is by
trying it.

Personally, I've found that Vorbis at 160k has the same or better fidelity
than MP3 at 192-256k except on a couple of songs, where the fidelity with both
suffers.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>